While working with the Chrome Developer Tool, I’ve discovered that you can retrieve the XPath of a selected node. But… it only works in Chrome. So what about other browsers? What about jQuery? What about querying documents that resulted from an AJAX request?
MP3s are everywhere and back in 2014 I finally had a phone with enough storage to store a decent amount of them. I use MediaMonkey to add high resolution album covers and to rename the files in a predictable format: Artist – Album – # – Title. The only thing I was missing was a simple way of creating a M3U playlist: PowerShell to the rescue!
Yesterday I was working on a bit of code that had to read the XMP meta data from a file. It is not located at a certain position, so I had to scan the file. XMP, being plain XML, can be found by simple string matching. After some searching I’ve found many solutions that read the entire file into memory and perform a regular expression search or a string comparison. That’s not going to work for me, because I have files that are +100MB! So I wrote some code that does a search that performs.
PowerShell is very similar to .NET, so it is no surprise that it is very popular with .NET developers. It is a language for writing scripts, so you might encounter some unexpected situations. I had this experience when I tried to parse some HTML with PowerShell: I could not get the replacement with regular expression groups to work! It turned out that my .NET knowledge was working against me…